Tuesday 26 July 2011

The student life

So, I know everyone is probably waiting for interesting updates from down under. Truth is that my life has gotten to be quite standard and usual here. I spent all last week basically working every day. I signed up for the most expensive gym in Melbourne (partially because it has beautiful views of the ocean and beach and partially because I need to stay motivated and also partially because the St.Kilda footy team is said to work out there).

 Sunday was the longest day of my life so far. I started work at 8 in the morning after a late shift the night before and worked until 1am. 17 hours with only one break, my feet are just about broken. The resto was closing for a two week reno so we all had to stay late and tear down shop.

We also started our first week at school. Day one of classes proved to be interesting even though the teachers spoke in a language I’ve never learned in before J Surprisingly I was able to keep up with the profs and all their abbreviated terms and funny lingo. Although today in hopes to attend our second day of school we left the house with about 1 hr 15 minutes to spare (normally it takes us 40 minutes to tram to school) and none of the trams heading to school came. Pretty bizarre and annoying but apparently this is why people complain about the unreliable transit in Melbourne. Feeling like a rebel we headed to the beach since the universe apparently didn’t want us to go to our class today.
Last night we went out to a bar/club that the aussie’s took us to called cheers. I was excited because any place called cheers cannot be bad. Upon arrival I realized I was severly underdressed as girls there were wearing formal dresses, I should’ve known. Dancing on the d-floor was a hazard as drinks were being spilt and people were bumping around everywhere. Being sober I had to take a time out. This was also the first time I felt like an absolute grandma in Melbourne. Everyone at the club was 20 or younger with an average female age of 18. Must find somewhere more age appropriate.

That is literally all for now. My life has become mundane and repetitive but loving every day here. Especially the last few days were gorgeous and sunny. Not quite jacketless weather yet but getting there!



PS- latest about our gas leak, our gas heater is still in repair and we have not heard from the plumber for over a week. He has stolen our fireplace and is MIA, if you see a short plumber with black long hair and facial hair with an unusual Aus accent please notify us ASAP.

PPS- very jealous of the August long weekend to come, so much so that I am making my own national holiday down here and take a relaxing vacay!
Stay classy Vancouver! Till next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment