Sunday 7 August 2011

back to normal


This week we went out with a big group of exchange students to this tappas bar called Naked for Satan. It features 80 cent tappas mon – weds, so it fit perfectly with our dwindling student budget. Now that we aren’t getting paid for a few weeks while our restaurant is under renovations, cheap food really is a god send.
My tappas bill came to 11$ so if you can do the math you can determine that I ate my fair share of tappas. Making up for my lack of appetite while sick I suppose. I ate more than the guys at our table (which really isn’t saying much since they are skinny Swedes, or maybe I just tell myself that to feel better). On our way home from a social gathering of tappas for 80 cents we ran into some rowdy ladies on the tram. Me and Kristina were discussing how we wanted to visit St.Patrick’s cathedral on Sunday for mass since it’s a beautiful, huge church and some ladies on the tram got into a debate with us and thought that we were joking, and although I’m religious I’m not a bible thumper but I was none the less offended at her rude attack. Our night got more interesting as I decided to run and jump on a palm tree and coaxed Kristina into trying out her acrobatic skills as well and just as she did it the St.Kilda police (which are very hard to come by since there are about 10 for the entire area) pulled up and rolled down the window and we had to give them apologetic looks and walk swiftly in the opposite direction. Anyways, now that Kristina has almost gotten hit by a tram, gotten us completely lost (consistently), eaten candy from Target and decided she didn’t like it and put it back (aka stolen it), displayed a less than lady like pose in the local newspaper and gotten us arrested for public disturbance and indecency I think its safe to say I’m keeping her on a tight leash. Or perhaps she just has cabin fever since she stayed in to look after me sick all weekend (such a good roomie).

Because our Australian friend base is largely Jewish in Melbourne we decided on the beautiful warm sunny day home from school we would walk down the jewish distric by our house and stop in a bakery called glicks for some famous challah bread (pronounced hallah). By the time we got back on the tram and arrived home (7 minutes later) the loaf of bread was done. I guess it really is good. Anyways apart from the fact that I’m converting to Judaism for their amazing bread we also bought bagels. Good thing im getting over my flu so I can visit my long lost friend…the gym.

This weekend we decided to make up for sitting in last weekend so we went out to the local bar the vineyard. We like this place very much because it’s an older crowd and I don’t have to worry about seeing 18 year olds in pre-teen outfits. They were playing reggae funk which was also very cool and casual which made for a nice night out. We made a big trip to the city on Sunday to have mass at one of the most historic cathedrals in Australia and were very glad we did. The cathedral was massive and reminded me of some European type church. We made a day out of it and decided to walk down to center place, which is an alleyway with lots of coffee shops in the city and have some brunch. Brunch was followed by a shopping trip (of course). We did a lot of looking and not a lot of buying which ended up being a good day for us but all in all was fun and we have some good pictures to prove it!









Ps- the night our gas heater fireplace got installed we realized it was leaking again, so it WASN’T fixed. Sacre bleu we have bad luck. Good news is we finally have heat again!

No comments:

Post a Comment